Monday, February 8, 2010

Don't Pity Me

Today has been a rough day for Abby. After being taken off the ventilator she is not quite herself yet. Her head has been foggy from all the medicines used to sedate her as well as from the after effects of the seizures. After 24 hours of no real sleep, Abby is sound to sleep in her room her in ICU. Her Dialysis is going great and that's a blessing! we know tomorrow will be a better day.

Well I bet your wondering about the title of today's blog. I wanted to share a little bit on how strong my baby girl is. Her hungry to be independent is so awesome! Since she has been sick, she has not once let anyone feed her but herself, she will get mad at you if you try to help her. Even today she has she has no access to use her hands due IV's, she would not let us help her. Even with her foggy head. She hates if you cry for her. She told me a week ago "I don't like when people treat me like a baby, because I'm sick." For the two weeks we were home, she was determined to organize all her medications. If a pill was too big to swallow, she'll go it cut herself before I could. She helps me keep track off all her monitored restrictions. She doesn't complain about her strict diet, even when her most favorite thing to eat is on her no no list. She doesn't complain when her feet are so swollen that only one pair of shoes fits her. She doesn't complain when she so swollen her clothes are too tight. Instead she laughs at the situation likes it's a funny joke. When she was told that she could still swim this summer, she was so excited that she could still do one of her favorite things. She takes it like a trooper.
At first, I though like any other parent would. Why does my baby girl have to suffer, why out a million people does she have to be the 20 people that have this rare blood disorder. Why does she have to have Kidney failure. Why, Why, Why....the truth is I don't why. I just know God has a plan for her life, and with great suffering comes get Victory. I don't pity Abby, I draw from her ability to be strong. Her strength makes me strong everyday. What Abby has taught me is feeling sorry for myself isn't going to get me anywhere, it's all about being in a bad situation and having the strength to get out of it with a smile.

10 comments:

  1. "I am not afraid of storms, I am learning to sail my own ship." ~ Louise May Alcott

    You have been an Inspiration Abby! We could All learn from you! Praise GOD! Stay Strong! Never Give Up! Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Bridget read Isaiah 57:19.
    Abby you are very brave little girl. GOD has a plan for your life, great plans. We love you and we continue praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Abby you are strong and brave !!!!!! God has a big plan for your life .....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almigthy.
    This I declare about the Lord:
    Psalm 91:1-2

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bridg, it's been a blessing to be able to witness God's hand on your lives in these past weeks. You and Memo have showed such courage and strength and seeing Abby the other day reinforces what you've shared about her willingness to fight this off. She really is an inspiration. Abby we're with you all the way in this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Abby you are an inspration to us all. I love you baby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are an inspiration to us all Abby, a lot of adults could learn something from you on how to be strong, we often forget to just live in the moment and be happy with what we have and not dwell on the things we don't/can't have, you are a burst of sunshine on a cloudy day Abby, thanks for inspiring so many and teaching us what life is all about, living in the moment despite of the circumstances with a smile on your face and the courage you portray to us all gives us a whole new outlook on life, thanks for that Abby. You are truly an inspiration. You are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew the Lord was going to pull you through this! Praise God! Abby, Valerie said hello and she wants to buy you a bear from build a bear workshop, but you can name it ok... Hope we can see you very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was reading this last night while Grocery shopping .. I like it Bridge

    ReplyDelete